Thursday, March 15, 2012

Love Through Love Sensors

I thought blogging and blogs were stupid. A very profound word, I know.  I'm still not fully convinced how I feel about keeping a blog.  However, in discovering blogs I have already learned from others' and maybe that's just the point.  Reading some body's page and thinking "I'm not the only one!" or "Gees, maybe I should try that!"  I'm also realizing that the goals I outlined for myself for this coming year are not that exciting and maybe not pinpointing exactly what it is that needs changing in my life. 

If I'm going to identify the areas in my life that need attention or positive change in a general sense it would be:
  1. My spiritual relationship with God
  2. My marriage and relationship with my husband
  3. My physical well-being/health
So, new plan or more like amendment to original plan:
In addition to working on previously outlined goals, add weekly "tidbit" goals.
This week's tidbit will be: Surprise husband with something he likes/wants

After reading Preserve Them, O Lord by Father John Mack, on a long car ride driving cross-country soon after our wedding, my husband and I quickly realized that we have different love sensors.  I prefer solicitude: being concerned about opinions, feelings, interests, desires, likes, and dislikes.  My husband prefers physical affection, frequent kissing, hugging, holding hands.  So much so that typically when I get a kiss, it is never just one kiss. It is always at least 3 to 5 quick ones in a row.  I prefer communicating with words and expressing admiration.  My husband prefers companionship and spending time together.  Although all of these are wonderful attributes to have combined in a marriage, I must say it is difficult for me to remember to show my husband love through his love sensors and not my own. 



My mother, as most mothers do, wants the best for all her children and will forever nurture us in as many ways as she can.  As a result one of her gifts to my husband and myself was After the Honeymoon: How to Maintain a Happy Marriage by Peter Kalellis.  We have not completed reading this book but have found comfort in its pages, whether from the content or just participating in a calming activity together I am as yet unsure.  Here are some helpful advices the book has to offer a wife:

  • Admire your husband's achievements.
  • Keep you "honey-do" list down. Show him thanks for things he accomplishes on the list.
  • Don't second guess him in front of others.
  • Ask him how you can be more pleasing.
  • Handle his male ego with care.
  • Accept him as he is. Change yourself.
  • Get rid of habits that annoy him.
  • Make a point to pay special attention to him.
  • Thank him for his contribution to your household.
  • Call him if you are going to be late.
  • If you give him something to read that is important to you, don't nag him to read it.

"Marriage is more than human.  It is a micro-kingdom, a miniature kingdom, which is the little house of the Lord." - St. Clement of Alexandria

1 comment: