Friday, May 4, 2012

Pascha Preparations - Kulich

As in many households, kulich making is a female tradition.  Although I do remember my brother helping when I was very little, more to lick dough off his hands. But that was long ago.  For many years my sister and I helped my mother. Then the three of us did it together, and slowly it gravitated to my sister and I doing it.  Eventually my sister met the love of her life, got married and moved away.  Life shifted and my mother and I made kulichi together.  Well life shifted yet again when I met the love of my life, moved away and now I make the kulichi myself.  This is my second Easter as a married woman and I would like to commend my husband for making kulichi with me last year.  However, this year I realized that he had a lot on his plate being the choir conductor and a student, so I decided since I've had so many years of practice I could do it all on my own.  Although my dough did not rise as much as I would have liked, this year was a success.  And really, the dough didn't rise all the way because I have yet to nurture the virtue of patience.  Had I given it more time I'm sure the dough would have grown exponentially.  The first round rose wonderfully. I skipped the second rising.

My mother always put the paste on the napkin for the kulich. That was one part I was never allowed to do.  Last year was my first Pascha away from home and I forgot to put the sprinkles on the edge.  I cried when I realized it was too late.  You may think that is a little excessive over sprinkles, but tradition is important.  Tradition is what makes life feel a little more meaningful at times.  My husband told me it was okay because he didn't like sprinkles anyway.  This year I remembered.  I think he likes sprinkles this year.  Only my mother always did a thicker and thinner line.  My sister this year lined her edges with tiny flowers.  I think next year I may try both.


The selecting of flowers and a color scheme for the top of each kulich was always exciting. Although I tend to gravitate to orange and yellows; some odd kick I've been on since I got engaged.  The moment I was proposed to it was like a pregnant woman with a craving. Only instead of food, I craved a color. My whole life had to be orange.  I apologize to my bridesmaids for having to wear orange dresses.  I did love the color though and it looked great in photos. So anyways, my kulichi are now feeling the residual trickle from my orange craze. 



2 comments: