Monday, June 17, 2013

The Joy of Infant Play

Although I'm an occupational therapist, work with kids on a daily basis, and part of my degree focused on child development, the first time I had awake time with my son I was at a loss of what to do with him. So I'm tracking my activities.  It helps when I think of how many slots of activity time I have during the day and have a slew of activities to choose from.

Three quick activities:
 
1. Patty cake - We have several patty cake type games in Russian that mom can do solo with clapping or you can hold your baby's hands and "clap" with them while smiling and singing.

2. Bicycle legs - I like to do different rhythms of bicycle legs while counting to the rhythm. Also most all of my activities and counting come out with a made up song. I substitute my own words to well known, everyday songs. Which works out better because I never know the right lyrics anyway.
 

3. Scarf Play - Thanks to a friend of mine, I now have another purpose for my headscarves, besides attending church. N enjoys tracking the scarf movements, feeling the wisps, and his first games of peek-a-boo.

One long activity:

1. Dancing with your baby to music - It's never too early to start dancing with your baby, in my opinion. Besides it gives me a little workout as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment